Lime and Lemon Meringue Tart
Being a great chef does not always mean cooking the best tasting food. Sometimes, it also takes innovation
and creativity. And that’s what we’re giving you with this issue’s Lime and Lemon Meringue Tart.
For the Pastry Crust
150 grams All – purpose flour
50 grams confectioners’ sugar
75 grams unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
1. Blend the butter and sugar together using hand whisk to form a paste.
2. Add the egg. Continue to mix to incorporate the egg completely. Add the flour, using a spatula, gently work in the flour until you get a dough.
3. Round the dough in the bowl, wrap the cling film and let it rest in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough between the two pieces of parchment paper to about the thickness of a 5-dollar coin.
5. Peel off the parchment paper on one side, lift up the dough using the parchment paper on the other side and place on top of the tart tin, and peel off the paper and line the tart tin.
6. Dock the base of the pastry and put back in the fridge for 5 minutes.
7. Bake in the pre-heated oven (175 degree Celsius) for 12 minutes. Makes enough for 6 rectangular tartlets.
For the Custard
32 grams Lime Juice
32 grams Lemon Juice
90 grams Caster sugar
112 grams unsalted
1. Mix together eggs and sugar in a bowl until combined.
2. In a saucepan, heat up the Lime and Lemon juice on a low heat until warm, and pour half of the juice into the egg and sugar mixture. Whisk to combine, and return the mixture in the saucepan and cook, stirring continuously with a
spatula until the mixture coats the spatula.
3. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about 80 degrees Celsius
4. Stir in the butter and mix well.
5. Let the mixture set in the fridge.
6. Use spatula to assemble the custard on the tart base and use a pallet knife to smooth out the cream.
135 grams egg white
170 grams caster sugar
1. Mix the egg white and sugar. Whisk until it is completely dissolve.
2. Cook the mixture over a hot water bath. Using a thermometer, check until it reaches 72 degrees
Celsius then transfer to a stand mixer and beat until soft medium peak.
For more recipes, enroll at Culinary Arts Centre M/F Cockloft, Wing Tat Commercial Building #97 Bonham Strand East, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong , For enquiries, please call at 2850 7724 • 2850 7408 • 2850 7438