Domestic worker from PH tests positive for COVID-19 in 2nd quarantine
Two domestic workers who flew in from the Philippines tested positive for the 2019 coronavirus disease (COVID-19), health officials confirmed Tuesday.
Both Filipinas, aged 39 and 51, boarded the Philippine Airlines flight PR300 on separate occasions, a spokesperson for the Department of Health said.
In a press briefing, Dr. Chuang Shuk-kwan from the Centre for Health Protection said the 39-year-old landed in Hong Kong on Sept. 8, when she tested negative.
Another test was done on Sept. 17 during her quarantine, yielding another negative result.
Her employer, through the recruitment agency, arranged for another stay at a hotel. During this time, the domestic worker went to a nearby food court to get takeaway.
On Sept. 28, the Filipina tested positive for COVID-19.
Chuang said the domestic worker had high levels of antibodies for the virus. She addedthe domestic worker likely got infected earlier and maintained a low viral load.
The other domestic worker from the Philippines, aged 51, tested positive for COVID-19 on the second sample. She did not show any symptoms.
The two migrant workers were among the seven imported cases recorded by the Hong Kong government Wednesday. Other imported cases include two asymptomatic cabin crew from Russia and the United Kingdom, a returnee from India, and two more arrivals from the UK.
The lone local case, a 71-year-old female living in an elderly home since Sept. 21, has an unknown source of infection. Chuang said the woman used to live in Tsui Mei House in Kwun Tong.
Over 60 residents of the care home, as well as 19 workers, were quarantined. Sample bottles will also be distributed to people in areas where the infected elderly woman previously stayed.
These eight new cases brought Hong Kong’s tally of coronavirus infections to 5,088.
In the past week, the city has seen higher numbers of imported COVID-19 cases. Hong Kong has placed 11 regions under its list of high-risk areas, the recent addition being the United Kingdom.
Undersecretary for Food and Health Chui Tak-yi said that with the coming MId-Autumn Festival holiday weekend, the public should continue to observe personal hygiene and shorten their time in places with poor ventilation. This, he said, will help curb the spread of the coronavirus.