OFWs included in smart Hong Kong ID replacement program
The Immigration Department (ImmD) said it will start replacing old Hong Kong identity cards (HKIC) of HK residents, including overseas Filipino workers working in the city, in late December.
An Immd spokesman said that the upcoming territory-wide identity card (HKIC) replacement program will start on December 27, 2018. Holders of existing smart HKICs will be invited to attend one of the nine newly-established Smart Identity Card Replacement Centres (SIDCCs) in phases, in accordance with their year of birth, to have their HKICs replaced within specified periods.
No fee will be charged for new smart HKICs issued under the replacement program but those who fail to replace their HKICs during the specified period without a valid reason could face a fine of $5,000.
The new HKICs will have enhanced security features, card durability as well as chip technology on personal data protection, the ImmD spokesman said.
“The nine SIDCCs are all situated in convenient locations and are easily accessible by public transport. They will be open from Mondays to Saturdays (except Sundays and public holidays), from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.,” he added.
It is estimated that the replacement exercise will last about four years. The Secretary for Security will issue an Order to announce the details of the first cycle.
In view of the demographic changes of Hong Kong, and to make the arrangement more convenient to the public, in particular groups in need, the following new facilitation measures will be introduced in the replacement exercise:
Hong Kong residents who are presently overseas need not rush back to Hong Kong solely for replacement of their HKICs. They can do so within 30 days after their return to Hong Kong if they have missed their turn.
Smart Identity Card Replacement Centres:
- Hong Kong Island Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre: Room 200, 2/F, Shui On Centre, 6–8
Harbour Road, Wan Chai
- East Kowloon Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre: Unit 1, 2/F, Manulife Financial Centre
and Unit 1B, 3/F, Manulife Financial Centre, Tower A, 223–231 Wai Yip Street, Kwun Tong
- West Kowloon Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre: 12/F, Gala Place, 56 Dundas Street,
- Tsuen Wan Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre: Shop S201, 2/F, Smartland, 50
Texaco Road, Tsuen Wan
- Sha Tin Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre: Shop G26, G/F & Shop 123, 1/F,
Kings Wing Plaza 1, 3 On Kwan Street, Sha Tin
- Sheung Shui Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre: 7/F, Spot, 48 Lung Sum Avenue,
- Tuen Mun Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre: Shop L414B, Level 4, Leung King
Plaza, Leung King Estate, 31 Tin King Road, Tuen Mun
- Yuen Long Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre: Shop 50, G/F, Manhattan Plaza, 23
Sai Ching Street, Yuen Long
- Tseung Kwan O Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre: Shop 20-26, G/F, Corinthia By The
Sea, 23 Tong Yin Street, Tseung Kwan O, Sai Kung