Bello orders POLO in Qatar to help 300 Pinoy fire victims

Image title

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III this morning ordered the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in Qatar to immediately help 300 overseas Filipino workers affected by a fire that razed a labor camp on Friday.

Bello said he ordered Labor Attaché David Des Dicang and his team to assist the victims of the blaze that hit the UCC Labor Camp of the Elegancia Hospitality Group in Al-Shehaniya, which is about 33 kilometers north of Doha.

The labor chief said he instructed the POLO to provide immediate assistance to the OFWs, monitor their conditions, and ensure that they will be able to return to their work.

Dicang had reported to Manila that the fire displaced more than 300 Filipino workers  who are mostly employed as cleaners and tea boys. They reportedly lost their personal belongings in the fire.

Dicang also said that there were no casualties in the incident but added that a certain Sherwin Manlapaz suffered injuries in his lower leg. Manlapaz had already undergone treatment.

The affected OFWs were said to be staying in the labor camp when the fire burned down the three-story “accommodation building” before it was declared under control.

The cause of fire was still being investigated, Dicang said.

Bello said the POLO and the Embassy team joined the Filipino community groups in Qatar in bringing emergency aid, such as clothing, food, water, and medicines to the affected OFWS.

Ads 240x180
Ads 240x180
Ads 240x180
Ads 240x180
Ads 240x180