Filipino woman, 3 kids found dead in Turkiye quake aftermath
Manila, Philippines — The Philippine Embassy in Turkiye confirmed that a missing Filipino woman and her three children were found dead in the Antakya, Turkey in the aftermath of a killler magnitude 7.8 earthquake that struck the country and Syria.
“It is with deepest regret that the embassy must confirm the passing of a Filipina housewife and her three children, previously reported to be missing under the rubble in Antakya. She and her children have been laid to rest by her Turkish husband, in accordance with Turkish tradition,” the embassy said in a statement issued Sunday.
It likewise assured the public that it would continue to stay focused on ensuring that Filipinos affected by the quake were safe.
The embassy said that the Philippine humanitarian contingent has already swept through more than 30 buildings since their arrival even as the Philippine medical assistance team has assisted at least 539 injured.
Presently, the Philippine government is hosting more than 20 families in the embassy shelter, or 70 individuals, composed of overseas Filipinos, children, Turkish spouses, and senior citizens.
“Since the start of operations, the embassy team has met more than seventy 70 Filipinos who have decided to remain in the provinces they have called home. Most were given assistance, according to their needs, while a handful respectfully declined so that it may be reserved for those in more dire situations,” the embassy statement said.
The embassy also promised to speed up its repatriation efforts for qualified Filipinos who wish to return to the Philippines.
For those who want to remain in Turkiye, on the other hand, the embassy “may assist in housing and financial programs provided by the Turkish government for its displaced citizens.”
The embassy likewise remains open for any and all information on Filipinos affected by the earthquake.
They may contact via phone and Whatsapp (+945345772344) or email at ANKARA.PE@dfa.gov.ph.