Traditional jeeps in PH can only ply until June 30 – LTFRB

Manila, Philippines – The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) has confirmed that traditional jeepneys will only operate until June 30, 2023 unless they start joining cooperatives or corporations.
The LTFRB distributed this following the approval of Memorandum Circular 2023-013 on February 20th.
In the said order, it is stated that individual jeepney operators can operate through a provisional authority that is automatically extended until June 30.
They can also join the existing consolidated entity until the same date and only those who can join the said consolidated entity before June 30 will be allowed to extend their provisional authority until December 31.
Jeepney routes that do not have a “consolidated entity” (cooperative or corporation) or have filed an application for franchise consolidation can only have their applications entertained until October 31.
One of the things the government is currently pushing is the formation of cooperatives to allow operators to afford the purchase of modern jeeps estimated to cost at least P2.6 million through loans from financial institutions.
One of the causes of air pollution is the outdated design of the traditional jeepney that emits strong exhaust fumes and is said to be unsafe for passengers to ride.
Because of this, the gradual implementation of the “Public Utility Vehicle Modernization Program” has begun, where traditional jeeps would be replaced with modern or electric jeeps with the aim of making the public transportation system in the country more efficient and environmentally friendly.
But according to LTFRB Chairman Teofilo Guadiz III, only about 60 percent of the vehicles targeted for modernization are able to comply with the requirements under the program such as industry consolidation towards cooperatives while the remaining 40 percent continue to observe those route using traditional jeepneys.
“I am not in favor of removing the traditional jeep, their aspiration is good but the traditional jeep is still part of our culture,” Jolina Panganiban, a commuter said.
Some of the drivers interviewed by Hong Kong News are just now struggling with what they will do when the franchise of the traditional jeepney is burned this coming June.
Some of them do not belong to a corporation or a cooperative that will borrow money from banks of at least P2.6 million so that they can buy a modern jeep.
“If it’s what’s good and best for the many, I’m in favor” said Jesus Lopez, 56, from Padre Garcia and has been driving a jeep for 10 years.
“For me the cost is quite high and other drivers and operators can’t afford it. If they can find a way to lower the price it would be great” he added.
While others like Efren Dimaandal, 51 years old, from Mataas Na Kahoy town in Batangas are worried about the effect this could have especially on him who has children who are still in school.
He added, he doesn’t know what kind of work he can do when the franchise of the jeep he drives is burnt.
The transport group PISTON previously mentioned that most jeepney operators continue to avoid joining the PUV Modernization Program because of the high cost of replacing their vehicles, in addition to the possibility of losing their livelihood when they enter franchise consolidation. .
“In the process of reviewing the total modernization program, the government must ensure that all jeepney drivers and small operators are consulted,” said Mody Floranda national president of PISTON in a statement.
“Thousands of livelihoods are at stake so it is important that we work with the state to identify how to make the right transition towards modernization,” he added.
The group clarified that they are not opposed to modernizing the traditional jeepneys as long as the modernization program ensures and prioritizes a “fair and proper transition for transport workers and all affected vulnerable sectors.”