Employment Maternity Rights of Foreign Domestic Workers (FDWs)

Image title

A pregnant domestic helper should obtain a medical certificate from a registered doctor, Chinese medicine practitioner, or midwife to confirm her pregnancy. The certificate should specify her expected date of delivery.

With the medical certificate, the worker should then serve a notice of pregnancy to her employer and indicate her intention to take maternity leave. It is advisable for employees to attach the copy of the pregnancy certificate with a written notice of pregnancy and maternity leave, and to keep the record of the notification. This ensures the protection of migrant domestic workers’ maternity rights.

PathFinders Limited is a Hong Kong registered Charitable Organization. We believe all children deserve a fair start in life and strive to ensure the most vulnerable and unsupported children in Hong Kong are protected and respected, and their Migrant Domestic Worker (MDW) mothers are empowered to find a path to a brighter future.

Learn more about PathFinders:
For General Inquiries:
Email us on info@pathfinders.org.hk, or send us a message on our Facebook page (PathFindersHK / PathFinders for Migrant Workers).
Client hotline for pregnant migrant workers, or migrant domestic workers with children: +852 5190 4886