Things You Need to Consider before Having a Child in Hong Kong
In Hong Kong, it is legal for migrant domestic workers (MDWs) to get pregnant, and MDWs are entitled to the same maternity rights as women in other occupations.
However, having a child is not just a legal matter. Careful planning before having a child is crucial for the best interests of both the mother and the child. This involves physical, emotional, social, and financial preparation.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself when considering having a child:
- Do I really want to have a child?
- Am I financially ready to support the child’s healthy development?
- Do I have enough support from my partner and family to raise the child?
- Am I ready physically and emotionally to welcome a new life?
- What are my maternity rights and obligations?
In case there is no plan to have a child, MDWs should have an open conversation with their partner about family planning and make sure to adopt effective contraceptive methods correctly and consistently to prevent an unplanned pregnancy.