Displaced OFWs hired on the spot at DMW job fair –OWWA

Image title

The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) announced Monday that multiple local employers hired displaced overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) on the spot during a job fair organized by the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) in Starmall Mandaluyong last Saturday.

“We have many local partners who hired on the spot because the job fair was for displaced OFWs who want to work here in the country. That’s why we had more local players at that time.,” OWWA Deputy Administrator Honey Quiño said at a televised public briefing.

“The job fair was successful since many were hired on the spot.”

The job fair, which offered around 17,000 positions for displaced OFWs, was organized by the DMW.

Earlier DMW Secretary Susan Ople said the job fair catered to displaced OFWs who were formerly employed in Saudi Arabia.

There were 11,000 job opportunities abroad that are available for the said target group including 6,000 positions locally vis a vis livelihood programs.

DMW said the job offerings are in the Middle East (Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE), Europe (Croatia, Germany, Hungary), Asia (Brunei, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore), Oceania (Australia, New Zealand), Morocco and the Cayman Islands.

The largest profession demand includes nurses and semi-skilled workers or carpenters, with the top three countries opening opportunities in New Zealand, Hong Kong, and Saudi Arabia while private local companies will employ 4,526 individuals.

In a press conference, DMW Undersecretary Hans Leo Cacdac said around 70 overseas and 50 local recruitment agencies participated in the job fair.

The majority of the 2,639 applicants were considered qualified for the jobs, he said.

“The good news is the very high percentage of those who have been qualified. Only 4% of the 2,639 registrants were deemed not qualified. And the rest, the balance of 96% either were qualified for a final interview, that’s 18% of them, and 78% for further interview or evaluation,” he added.

Hong Kong Labor Dept