Top Stories

Image title

The Filipina domestic helper confirmed to have contracted novel coronavirus (COVID-19)on Feb. 18 is expected to be released this week after all her tests turned out to be negative, the Philippine Consulate General said on Feb.23. "Hong Kong's lone Filipino COVID-19 patient informed the Consulate today that her tests have turned out negative," Co...

February 24, 2020
Image title

After six months, the post vacated by former labor attaché Jalilo dela Torre  in July 2019 will now be filled by a labor officer who was previously assigned in Greece. Sources confirmed to Hong Kong News that lawyer Melchor Dizon will arrive on Feb.21 in Hong Kong to formally take on the position. Dizon, a certified public accountant, is...

February 21, 2020
Image title

The Centre for Health Protection said they are now looking for 10 people who have come into contact with the Filipina domestic helper who tested positive for novel coronavirus (COVID-19) on Feb.18. Dr. Chuang Shuk-kwan, head of the communicable disease branch of the Centre for Health Protection said in a press conference on Feb. 18 that the Fil...

February 18, 2020
Image title

The Hospital Authority, the body which manages the public hospitals and institutions in Hong Kong, confirmed that a foreign domestic helper has tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) on Feb. 17, the first case involving a domestic worker. The HA said it cannot disclose the patient’s nationality, however and will leave this up to ...

February 18, 2020
Image title

The Philippine Consulate General said that no one among the seven Filipinos who have been quarantined in Hong Kong tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Consul General Raly Tejada said that as of Feb.16, 2020, three out of these seven who were sent to the Quarantine Center have already been released after completing the 14-day qu...

February 17, 2020
Image title

A foreign domestic helper was sent to the Prince of Wales Hospital after exhibiting symptoms of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), which has infected at least 53 people in Hong Kong so far. The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) said the domestic helper worked for a 42-year-old man who tested positive for COVID-19 on Feb.7.  Her employer, who li...

February 14, 2020
Image title

The Philippine Consulate General said on Feb.7 that the first Filipina domestic helper who was quarantined amid the novel coronavirus scare (2019-nCoV) in Hong Kong has been released. "The first Filipina domestic helper quarantined has been given a clean bill of health and therefore has been released by the Health Department," Consul General Ra...

February 7, 2020
Image title

Chief Executive Carrie Lam said on Feb.3,2020 that she has asked labour and immigration officials to ascertain what steps they can take to address the situation of foreign domestic helpers from the Philippines who have been barred from returning to Hong Kong and are finding it difficult to go back to the Philippines due to a travel ban. Philippi...

February 3, 2020
Image title

The Philippine Consulate General confirmed on Feb.3, 2020 that overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are covered by the travel ban to mainland China and its special administrative regions (SARs) Hong Kong and Macau. “Blanket e,” Consul General Raly Tejada said. “Lahat covered, worker, businessman.” Bureau of Immigration spokeswoman Dana Kr...

February 3, 2020